Keeping things given to us by God simple, even though we live in a very complicated world.

Sunday, March 9, 2008

Please let me sing in the choir, in the choir...

O come, let us sing unto the LORD: let us make a joyful noise to the rock of our salvation.
Psalm 95:1 KJV


I decided that this part of the tribute of my brother, Ricky would be better suited for this blog,

While he was growing up, Ricky always liked going to church. He got into everything that was going on there. And he liked to sing hymns- very loud. This is one thing he did despite the fact I wasn't going since I was sowing my wild oats at that time(don't worry, that crop wouldn't have a decent yield).

We would go to church on Sunday, St. Mark Lutheran Church Brunswick, Ohio. Ricky was in the choir. This choir would let anyone sing with it, only requirement was a desire to sing. Ricky had that, but no talent. We sat in church and when it was time for the choir, his voice could be heard over the others. I'm sure folks were cringing listening to that, but these people were probably as spiritual as I was at the time as I wasn't saved then.

In later years while he was able to, Ricky would help out in whatever capacity he could in the church, first St. Mark then St. Paul Lutheran Church Cleveland, Ohio. People in the church took an interest in him, taking him to movies and ball games. And he still sang, very loud and extremely off key.

The reason I bring this up on this blog is I want to give one of my observations. Sometimes we don't someone to sing in "our" services because they either don't sound or don't look like what WE feel they should.

If someone who sings off key affects the way we worship the Lord then who is closer to God? The one who can't sing but tries anyhow, or those who have the talent but won't?

The Bible says to make a joyful noise, not a perfect one.

By the way, Ricky is singing with the angels today. He is singing all the right notes and blending in perfectly.

6 comments:

Linda Jones Malonson said...

Beauty lies within our imperfections. Everything is perfect, if it was not, it would not exist --- could God create anything that is not perfect in his sight.

If we believe, anything is possible, and yes, I believe Ricky is singing with other Angels, but not necessarily in the outfield. Ricky is on the front line, singing loud and proud ... he's happy.

Liquid said...

Oh yeah, he's happy and singing his heart out!

Know what, I sing at church and both of my children elbow me. I do NOT sing, well.

But I just keep on a singin'!

This was a joyful post, Cliff.

Thank you.

Kathy said...

That was so sweet, and you are right, but Bible only tells us to make a joyful noise.

Amel said...

Ah, sorry to hear about your loss, but you're right: he's singing with the angels now and I'm smiling because of that. :-))))

Michelle said...

Go here and read S for SMILES.

http://crows-feet.blogspot.com/2008/03/news-flash-for-march.html

The Really Terrible Orchestra would have understood and welcomed Ricky. :-)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your message! I was just put in as my church's choir director, and we are struggling to get people to participate. Your words were just what I was looking for to put on my flyers! Thank you! I especially loved the part about how the Bible tells us to make a joyful noise, not a perfect one! I hope people will think twice now. Thanks again.