Keeping things given to us by God simple, even though we live in a very complicated world.

Monday, August 11, 2008

Filthy Rags

But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away. Isaiah 64:6 KJV

We're all sin-infected, sin-contaminated.
Our best efforts are grease-stained rags.
We dry up like autumn leaves—
sin-dried, we're blown off by the wind. Isaiah 64:6 The Message

In my last post, I expounded about those who wanted to earn God's favor. God's favor isn't earned, it's a gift of God's grace. I feel the Lord wants us to enjoy our Christian walk and if we are always trying to earn our way into Heaven, we will always worry if we have done enough.

This is one problem I have with legalistic beliefs. When have we done enough to earn our way into the kingdom of God?

I praise God for His grace and for his love of which there is no measure. And if there is no measure, how do we know how much we have to do to earn it?

We do works for God because we love God. We want to see those around us to accept His sacrifice of our Lord Jesus Christ. Or as the song says, Oh, how I love Jesus, because He first loved me.

7 comments:

Jen said...

For me the serving was innate pretty much as soon as I was born again. I don't want to earn anything extra from God for serving, even though He tells us there are rewards. His love and forgiveness are sufficient!

Z said...

it's a great question for legalists.."So, how much SHOULD you do, how much CAN you do? WHen is it 'enough'?"

What we can do can NEVER be enough. that's the whole message.

Can I ask a personal question you obviously don't have to answer? Do you belong to a denominational church or a big non-denominational? I'm thinking denominational and that it's my denomination from what you write.... :-) If you'd rather not say, I SO understand. xx

Cliff said...

The church I belong to is part of the Church of God from Cleveland, Tennessee. But my background is pretty much Heinz 57 varieties.

I grew up going to a Lutheran church, complete with confirmation. I met my then future wife and went to church with her. The church at that time belonged to the Southern Baptist Convention. It later became Independent Baptist.

Because of some strife in the church, and because of the distance from our home, we left and joined a Freewill Baptist church.

You may think I'm mixed up being in so many denominations, but I will tell you that I'm pretty much fed up with some denominational thinking. The fact is some folks think that if you don't believe exactly like them, there's no way you can get to Heaven.

I don't want to slam any denominations. I have noticed that there are many who read my blogs that have been hurt by those who want to show the world how spiritual they are.

If you want to continue any dialog, feel free to send me an email. You can get my email addy from my profile page.

Good News Bearer said...

truely!
We do good deeds not to get God's approval but because we are already approved by God through Christ.

Z said...

I could sniff that good Lutheran teaching basis all through your writings. THAT's the denomination I suspected!

Not many denominations or nondenominational churches remember that everything is THROUGH GOD. There's tons of "what I CAN DO.." etc etc. Even many praise songs are about US. Remembering it's all through GOD'S STRENGTH and grace, not ours, is one place I totally am on line with the thinking of Luther.

thanks, Wixy! and thanks for stopping by geeeeZ!

(i got some flack for the blog name geeeeZ!...as if I meant Jesus in a negative way....OF COURSE, I didn't! I mean it as GOLLY GEEZ!But, some Christians friends were offended..others, not!)

Cliff said...

My problems don't atually lie with denominations, but with some of the people within the denominations.

I have seen too many people whose Christian growth has been stunted because of "leaders" in the church who appear to think (in my opinion) that arrogance is a spiritual gift.

I have been slighted in the church simply because I live on the wrong side of town, which should explain the name of my poetry blog to you.

I'm not hurt. Now I serve the Lord in a church that is located on the same side of the tracks, one where the pastor is an encourager.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your website
I made with photoshop backgrounds for myspace or youtube and
more my backgrounds: WOW power levelaing
take care and thank youa again!