Keeping things given to us by God simple, even though we live in a very complicated world.

Sunday, November 30, 2008

God's Ultimate Gift

People are running to and fro
Shopping for gifts, the stores they will go
Showing their loved ones how much they do care
But I know of a gift, one that you can't compare

Up on Black Friday all too early
To be with some people all too surly
In the stores they push and they shove
To get things to show their love

God came from Heaven above
To show all of us His love
He came here to Earth
And had a simple birth

Was not early or late
He took on our fate
And was born here to die
For the sins of you and I

So when you give an you get
I hope you will not forget
The gift that comes from above
The gift the Lord gave of love

3 comments:

Jen said...

This is Fabulous Cliff!!

Reminds me too of one of my favorite songs by Randy Travis
"He had the birthday, we got the gift."

Dorothy said...

Great poem Cliff! It says about the same thing that mine said, just in different words! Thanks!

Michelle said...

Lovely. I was just talking to someone this morning about a poem Ray Bradbury wrote about Jesus. It's awfully long and weird, but the point is I love it because he writes about the idea of an alien Jesus being born on many different worlds so that the word is sent throughout the galaxies. Every time I read it that idea makes me feel all tingly.

Here are my favourite bit of the poem (Christus Apollo)

"Was there some Star much like the star at Bethlehem
That struck the sight with awe and revelation
Upon a cold and most strange morn?

How many stars of Bethlehem burnt bright
Beyond Orion or Centauri’s blinding arc?
How many miracles of birth all innocent
Have blessed those worlds?

No matter what the color, shape, or size
Of beings who keep souls like breathing coals
In long midnights,
They must need saving of themselves.
So on far worlds in snowfalls deep and clear
Imagine how the rounding out of some dark year
Might celebrate with birthing one miraculous child!"

:-) I love that idea