Keeping things given to us by God simple, even though we live in a very complicated world.

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Come to the table

Ho, every one that thirsteth, come ye to the waters, and he that hath no money; come ye, buy, and eat; yea, come, buy wine and milk without money and without price.

Wherefore do ye spend money for that which is not bread? and your labour for that which satisfieth not? hearken diligently unto me, and eat ye that which is good, and let your soul delight itself in fatness. Isaiah 55:1-2 KJV

All my adult life, I've gone to churches that have some pretty active services, to say the least. We clap, shout, raise our hands to the Lord, and testify. In some services we ahve people running around the church. All this in praise to God. Nothing wrong with that. Would you rather be in a service where things are all laid out and orderly? Nothing wrong with that either.

I have been in services where people have been all active around me, praising God, shouting, hugging each other, and I am not feeling a thing. I am going through some struggle and nobody knows. I'm not doing anything about it either. The next service the song leader gets up and says "I'm still feasting from the last service." I left starving, but it was my own fault. I didn't feast, but I also didn't come to the table.

As the scripture states all God offers for us to feast on is free. All we have to do is come and dine. God has a big buffet table of blessings laid out for us to enjoy. It's all free.

Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.Psalm 23:5 KJV

5 comments:

Jen said...

Been there. I almost fell asleep Sunday. I was so ashamed of myself.

Kathy said...

I know what you mean. I guess sometimes our state of mind or the state of our heart will influence what we do or don't get from a worship service.

Awake In Rochester said...

Hey, nice blog Cliff!

Sometimes the cares of this world can be like weeds choking us. Sometimes we don't even see the weeds growing until they are up to our neck.

Cynthia said...

Hey, I found you from a comment you left on Awakes blog. I like your honesty! I especially related to your line :"I didn't feast, but I also didn't come to the table". Too many people refuse to take responsibility for their own spiritual state. The only way to have a relationship with God is to be with Him regularily, let Him influence our lives and allow His word to live in us. I just wrote about that on my own blog....I named the last post "Waltzing With God"...about a time in my life when I just didn't put any effort into being a Christ -follower.

I favorited your blog and will check in often.

Linda S. Socha said...

I appreciated your honest and real post on Awakes blog so I wanted to visit here a bit. Thank you for sharing your convictions. I invite you to vist Psyche Connections
Hope your 2009 is filled with spirit
Linda