Keeping things given to us by God simple, even though we live in a very complicated world.

Saturday, May 9, 2009

Do you have a hard time staying awake in church?

I have been reading the latest Faith and You column by Terry Pluto of the Plain Dealer. The title is "Even if you fall asleep, it's better to attend services than not." I recommend you follow that link and read the column. It will either speak to you about yourself or others.

I have a problem at times staying awake in church. For years I wondered why this might be. Then after falling asleep behind the wheel 10 years ago and wrecking my car, I found that I was suffering from sleep apnea. I did get some relief from that diagnosis. I am afraid of what some might say when I go to church and nod off. I have done this during revival meetings when we get home at 10pm and I have to awaken at 3am. I would call it doing my neck exercises. By no way am I proud of that, But in Matthew 11:28, Jesus said "Come to me those who are weary and I will give you rest."

So is it better to be in church, barely awake with people praying for you, or at home, in front of the tube?

2 comments:

Jen said...

I do the head nod often, but not because I am tired. Our pastor just bores me and he's hard for me to listen too a lot of times. When others fill in for him it's much better--I hope he retires soon.
BUT---I do understand the message you are passing on here, so I continue to go ...Jesus feeds me, not the preacher.

Amias (ljm and liquidplastic) said...

Cliff we need some heavy duty praying, so please go HERE!, and link a prayer from your blog. Please put the Prayer Hubs logo on the post, and link it back to Jeffery's Prayer Hub. Thank you!