Keeping things given to us by God simple, even though we live in a very complicated world.

Saturday, December 23, 2006

A Grim Reminder

A haunting statistic hit home yesterday as I arrived at work. I was sitting at my desk, going through my e-mail, when Charlie, who occupies the office next to mine, and is one of the best Christians I know, asked me if I heard about this man who had just quit this past Tuesday. I said no, then Charlie told me that he had committed suicide, and was found on Wednesday.

This is one of the times of the year when one of the leading causes of death is suicide. Some feel very lonely. Some feel very hopeless and helpless, and can't take it any more.

Remember, this is the time of the year we spend with our families. But some feel all alone in a very crowded world. Jesus came to the world to be a comforter. As Christians we have the comforter dwelling in us, the Holy Spirit. We are called "Christians" because we are supposed to be "Christlike".

Let's let the Comforter be known through us. Give a smile, a good word, or maybe a handshake to one you don't know. You might make someone's day, or make them feel like they are appreciated, maybe loved. Or you might give someone the courage to face another day.

1 comment:

Linda Jones Malonson said...

Cliff, I know this is an old post, but I like to go back and read old post, because it allows me to really understand my blogging friends. I especially like this particually post because you summed up what a Christian is .. "Christ Like". Taking on the persona of your leader.

I was taught by the Church Of Christ to never celebrate Christmas, yet 99% of the families in the church, including us, celebrated Christmas.

You don't have to respond, as I am just reading ... getting my meditation on.