Keeping things given to us by God simple, even though we live in a very complicated world.

Thursday, November 8, 2007

Dual Posts:Reason for this Vacation

Those of you who have read WIXY's Gone Bananas since the start remember the story of my father in law's stroke. Those who aren't familiar and don't want to go through over 350 posts to find it, I will post the link. The post was called "Jesus take the Wheel." Check it out and as an added bonus, scroll down and read David5258's excellent. comment on the song.

My in law's were getting ready to go to Florida for the winter when the stroke occurred. It turned out to be a "mini stroke." Well they spent Christmas in Ohio, which meant they got to see their great grandchildren on Christmas Eve. Sometimes things like that turn out to be compensation for a minor inconvenience.

The day after Christmas, it was on to Florida, traveling tandem with a couple from their church. Health wise the stay in Florida was nothing out of the ordinary, but they flew my wife and her sister down to help with the drive back this past spring.

My father in law had a couple of setbacks during the spring but nothing major. His heart doctor told him late in the summer that his heart was in the best condition in years. The plan was to drive to Florida on their own, which went well until late September he was showing his neighbors how to do something they were doing easier and his defibrillator went off. At this poing my wife got a call from her mother. She said that she was going to call her sister and have them sell their trailer in Florida. Kathy told her that I had vacation time and would drive them down if they could fly me back. I had told my father in law the day my mother died, when he called me and told me how much they appreciated the care I gave my mom. I told him if need be, I would do the same for them.

They took me up on the offer, and insisted that I take time to enjoy myself there. I've never been to Florida, so there are things I will see in person for the first time. I will also get to go to the orange juice processing plant, where I can drink all the juice I want. They will take me to the ocean(another first), and I will get away from the rat race for a week.

4 comments:

Kathy said...

So, when do you get to go? I forget that some people don't live as close to the beach as I do (I'm about 3 hours away from it). Which beach will you get to see -- I hope it's on the Gulf of Mexico side. It's beautiful!

Cliff said...

Kathy,

We leave Medina, Ohio about 6:00 Saturday morning. After a stop in Pax, WV, where we will visit with my father in law's sister and her husband who has terminal cancer, we will gradually head south. We may stop to see my mother in law's aunt in Georgia, so our ETA in Frostproof, Fl should be sometime Monday. Acording to the 10 day forcast from weather.com, the only day it won't be all that great will be Wednesday.

As far as the beach, I don't know.

Kathy said...

That's great! I hope you enjoy the south and the beach. My son's band is in your area tonight -- Columbus.

Sindi said...

Cliff,
I hope you have a great time on your trip. My Uncle moved to Florida a couple of years ago and He loves it there. I think you will have a blast. Stick your big toe in the ocean for me just one time and shout this is for Sindi! HE HE HE HE:)

I think God is trying to tell me something because this is really weird. I have woken up every morning to music just like I always do.For the past 2 weeks almost every other day I have heard the Song Jesus take the wheel. I come to your blog today and there is the title right there in your blog. WoW! God Bless