Keeping things given to us by God simple, even though we live in a very complicated world.

Thursday, May 1, 2008

Strength in numbers

Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.Hebrews 10:25 KJV

Not forsaking or neglecting to assemble together [as believers], as is the habit of some people, but admonishing (warning, urging, and encouraging) one another, and all the more faithfully as you see the day approaching. Hebrews 10:25 Amplified Bible

People are always saying that they can worship God as well at home as they can in church. According to the Word of God, that's just not so. But what constitutes a church? The word "church" means "called out assembly." Where does this assembly of believers meet? Ideally we meet in a building maybe several times a week. I know several of us meet at various blogs and through email.

Why should believers meet? To help one another, to give each other strength, and to pray for one another. As Christians we should serve each other spiritual food.

If one has a burden, they should go to the brethren, and seek prayer. We should lift those burdened up to the Lord. It's a lot easier to lift someone when there are several helping lift.

A match will burn quickly. A match put to some kindling well placed between logs in a fireplace, will start a fire that will keep many warm.

God gives us all a role in helping one another. If you can't be in church as often as you like, seek fellowship among us. You may find something that will benefit you in your Christian walk. Or you may have something that may benefit the rest of us.

But by all means, seek out folks that you can have some physical fellowship with. People that will love on you when you have a struggle. And people that you can love on when they are hurting.

Cliff Note:While I was making my comment as a followup to Suzanne's comment, I was checking out The Message's translation of the verse I quoted. I want to share this with everybody: "And when two or three of you are together because of me, you can be sure that I'll be there." Matthew 18:20, The Message.-Very powerful!

6 comments:

Liquid said...

Alone we are weak.
But with Him and one another, we are beyond the understatement of that mere men describe as "strong".

Thank you for so much, Cliff!

Cliff said...

For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there I am in the midst of them. Matthew 18:20 KJV

This is a promise made by our Lord, Jesus Christ.

My word verif, jvhuo. Looks sort of like Jehovah

Sindi said...

This is a wonderful post. I have never known how to explain how I feel when I read others blogs. I do feel as if I am getting the fellowship I need from all of my blogger friends.

For the longest time I had prayed for a church to go to. I was longing for that kind of fellowship. I finally just said Lord when you show me where I am to be then I will go. I no longer have that longing. I know that the fellowship I have here with my blogger friends will get me by until He shows me the path I am to follow.

When that day finally comes I will just add my new church going friends to my christian blogger friends. I am smiling just thinking about it. :-)

Kathy said...

You said it well! I believe we do need to get together with other believers in church or Bible studies as well as fellowship.

Emma said...

well said!

Amel said...

I miss going to church, but there are only two Finnish churches in this small village. I hope I can learn Finnish fast so that I can start going to church even though I still can't understand every word.