Keeping things given to us by God simple, even though we live in a very complicated world.

Thursday, May 29, 2008

About using God's name in vain.....

Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh His name in vain. Exodus 20:7 KJV

No using the name of GOD, your God, in curses or silly banter; GOD will not put up with irreverent use of His name. Exodus 20:7 The Message

It's been said that as Christians, we have to pick and choose our battles. Language is one of these things. Some people can get too legalistic when it comes to listening to others.

A topic on other blogs have centered around one of the seven words you can't say on television and body parts. As a rule, I try my hardest not to say some of these words. A good part of the time, the flesh prevails.

I used to be one of the types that would cast judgement on those who would say "shoot" or other substitute swear words. I felt that that was just someone's attempt to "legally swear."

My biggest problem is with those who use God's name in vain, or a thoughtless manner. Jesus Christ is my Lord. To me, He is not a swear word. People don't realize what they are asking when they ask God to damn something. And while we are at it, I don't like it when they refer to the Lord as "the man upstairs."

A local radio host overuses the phrase, "my God in Heaven." That usually has me reaching for the button to change stations.

Another way I have the name of our Lord used in vain was several years ago when I worked overnights stocking shelves in a grocery store and one of the other stockers had a bad habit of using the MF word. We would go into the break room and he would then be telling someone that they should accept Christ as their personal savior. That would really offend me because that cheapens salvation.

Our attitude and mention of God and all His names, should be very holy.

What are your thoughts?

2 comments:

Melanie said...

I agree ~ people watch and like it or not you are a representative of Christ. My husband never gets onto people for their mouth at work..I mean..whatever...but people do notice that he does not swear or take the Lord's name in vain. My hun treats all of his co-workers with respect...they respect him.

Taking the Lord's name in vain does make me cringe.

Kathy said...

I am so in agreement with you! It bothers me to hear anyone use my Lord's name in vain. Even when it's not used together with a curse word, the name of God should never be used for any reason except to talk to him, about him or to praise and honor him.