Keeping things given to us by God simple, even though we live in a very complicated world.

Sunday, August 16, 2009

Don't worry, just go to the Lord

6-7Don't fret or worry. Instead of worrying, pray. Let petitions and praises shape your worries into prayers, letting God know your concerns. Before you know it, a sense of God's wholeness, everything coming together for good, will come and settle you down. It's wonderful what happens when Christ displaces worry at the center of your life.

8-9Summing it all up, friends, I'd say you'll do best by filling your minds and meditating on things true, noble, reputable, authentic, compelling, gracious—the best, not the worst; the beautiful, not the ugly; things to praise, not things to curse. Put into practice what you learned from me, what you heard and saw and realized. Do that, and God, who makes everything work together, will work you into his most excellent harmonies. Philippians 4:6-9, The Message

This has been one summer I don't care to repeat. Those who read my main blog, know about some of the problems my wife and I have had, and there are others that I haven't written about as those involved have asked me not to. All of this has had a very bad effect on my wife. And yes, we have gone to church and have requested prayer.

This morning I was watching David Jeremiah as I was getting ready for church. He was speaking from the scripture that I have highlighted above, Philippians 4.

With everything around us that tells us how to handle our problems, we all too often go to the tried and true method, applying the Word of God. He's only been around since the beginning and nothing surprises Him. But all too often we are surprised by what should have been our first result, not the last.

All too often there's too much around us to stimulate our minds. We have all kinds of music, movies, games, etc too keep us from being bored. But it also keeps us away from our worship of Almighty God.

I want to end this with Philippians 4:8 from the King James Version:

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

2 comments:

Amel said...

LOVE this post. The first two verses spoke to me right away 'coz I've been worried about my future in Finland esp. when it comes to finding a job that I would enjoy, knowing that the odds are against me.

Every time I ask God to help me, all around me comes a similar answer as this post...so I'm comforted, knowing that He listens to me. :-))))

Kathi said...

You tagged one of my favorite verses to REMEMBER when things are going amuck. "whatever is good, is pure. is lovely, etc etc". HOWEVER i'm going to give YOU a thought. DO all things WITHOUT murmurings or disputings. yeah. Phillipians.. GOOD BOOk.. LIFE IS SHORT. LIFE IT for HIM.