Keeping things given to us by God simple, even though we live in a very complicated world.

Sunday, January 20, 2008

Vengeance is mine, sayeth the Lord

14Bless them which persecute you: bless, and curse not.

15Rejoice with them that do rejoice, and weep with them that weep.

16Be of the same mind one toward another. Mind not high things, but condescend to men of low estate. Be not wise in your own conceits.

17Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men.

18If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men.

19Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.

20Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head.

21Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good. Romans 12:14-21 KJV


Sometimes we have to remember that as Christians, we have the Lord "watching our backs." We sometimes feel that we have to get our "pound of flesh," when we've been wronged, but that's not the Lord's way. We have Jesus to fight our battles and we have to wait on Him, as He will avenge us in His time, which would be the perfect time.

In the interim, we are to "live peaceably with all men." If someone does us wrong, my mother used to say, kill them with kindness- "if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head."

Sometimes people do things to hurt us and it's human nature to want revenge but , as Paul wrote in the text for this post, "Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord."

Easy to say, easy to read, but hard to do.

Dear God, please give those who are wronged the strength to let you avenge those who wronged them. Help us all to be an example to those who do others wrong by following the example of our Lord and savior Jesus Christ, in whose name we pray, Amen.

14 comments:

Linda Jones Malonson said...

Aman!

Thank you Cliff, my mother used to say the same thing, "kill a person with kindness".

This post has made me feel so much better today. I am praying right along with you.

Kathy said...

There have been so many times I've had to recite that verse to myself to force myself no to take matters into my own hands. It is comforting to know that God will handle it for me!

Stylin said...

This is my favorite passage in the Bible.
When I got married there were a lot of people who said stuff like my husband would divorce me etc etc.Just plain old gossipy Indians.I never said one negative word and ccommitted it to God.He took care of everyone that said something bad to/about me

Liquid said...

Today has been much different for me. Peaceful, even.
Thank you for posting this beautiful reminder.

Thank you each and all for your prayers. They are keeping me warm and safe today.

God's got my back and so do you guys and gals.

I love you each.

Me

Cliff said...

Amias:We serve a God who keeps his promises. One thing god cannot do is lie.

Kathy: We all know that being a Christian is a continuous process of growing. We won't be perfect until we are face to face with Him. We need His Word to remind us how we should live. He reminds us to be a blessing to all. Believe me, I have to see these words quite often.

Frasypoo: Sometime the most bitter thing people have to eat is their own words.

Liquid: Thank you for checking in. I have been in constant prayer for you since yesterday evening. Give everything to the Lord and let Him love on you.

Kathy said...

I'm having to say this verse a lot today! At what point, I wonder, do we need to step in and take some action when you see someone at work continuing day after day, month after month, doing wrong such as being on the clock and not working? Or spending an hour on a personal phone call?

Amel said...

I once held a grudge on somebody for years 'coz he hurt my Dad...it took me years to let it go...but I'm glad it's gone now he he he...

Liquid said...

Amen, again.

I've realized, all that I truly own is my heart and my head. Fortunately, equally.
Thank you, again, for this post.

Much to you all.

Linda Jones Malonson said...

I had to come back and read this again -- it's been a rough night, and this is a wonderful reminder for me to watch my knee-jerk reactions.

Melanie said...

God has my back...I love that! I love that He will take care of things. The times I have tried to take it in my own hands I have messed it up so badly. God has a way of restoring and loving the person who wronged us and restoring us in the process. He is amazing!

Anonymous said...

Amen! I believe Obama is an evil man (or at the least a puppet). I woke up the other morning with the thought "Vengence is mine sayeth the Lord", so I must have been dreaming and worrying about what is happening in the world today. God was reminding me, he is the Almighty!

Anonymous said...

Sept. 11, 2009 Vengeance is mine, says the Lord. Remeber that especially today. PRAY and love them enough to stop them.

Joshua said...

I really needed to read this today, You have touched my life stranger. and I thank you. God Bless you. :)

Anonymous said...

***(((---revenge is mine saith the lord~!:)---)))***