Keeping things given to us by God simple, even though we live in a very complicated world.

Sunday, July 13, 2008

Come unto me

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light. Matthew 11:28-30 KJV

As those who read my blogs know, I have been somewhat under the weather this weekend, so I haven't been blogging as much as usual. I have however been emailing a fellow blogger, and this topic came into my heart as a result.

There are many who have gone through much in recent times. We can tell others and we sometimes get a shoulder to cry on, other times we may find we are in competition with others, as they launch into a game of "can you top this." As a result of struggles, many question their religion.

Jesus says "Come onto me." He doesn't say come unto the Pentecostals, the Baptists, the Catholics, the Lutherans, The Methodists, etc. This is where our childlike faith comes in. We are to come unto Jesus. He wants us to take HIS yoke upon us. He wants to take our load upon Himself and help us. He wants to lighten our burden. He wants to give our souls rest.

Jesus is here for us when others aren't. When we are alone and afraid, He is the still small voice in the night that gives us comfort.

There are many good Christians, but we all are human, and as such, we may fail. We are to be like Christ and reach out to others. We are to help others carry their load.

I am going to end this post by giving the same text, Matthew 11:28-30, from the version known as The Message:

"Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly."



2 comments:

Jen said...

Right--Jesus didn't say, 'hey come get some religion...'

I like this Message version; I will have to look that up, I'm not familiar with that.
Hope you're feeling better. Thanks for the message here. ;)

Good News Bearer said...

Truely
I dont believe in any religion; but I believe in Jesus. Religion may fail you; but not Jesus.