Keeping things given to us by God simple, even though we live in a very complicated world.

Saturday, July 5, 2008

How do you handle hard times?

Hard times. We all have them. This year my brother passed away and my father in law is having some health problems which are making my wife feel helpless.

We read about people losing their jobs, their homes being foreclosed on. People around the country are dealing with natural disasters. And the future could be cloudy to us.

But we serve a Lord who cares for us. He knows tomorrow because he created tomorrow.

My favorite faith columnist, Terry Pluto, has written a column in this morning's Cleveland Plain Dealer called "In hard times, trusting God means trusting yourself."

I suggest you give the story a read. If you've not been through hard times, you probably someday will.


4 comments:

Jen said...

It's hard to take that "hard time" walk without doubt. But it is so comforting that God understands it and I don't think He holds it against you. To me, that's what His Grace is all about.

Z said...

Jen, I don't think he holds our doubt against us, either. (he'd BETTER not :-) )

Come to think of it, I suppose he'd rather this thing we feel was called FACT, but it's called FAITH, and it's based on the fact we don't really have the facts...not those we can touch, smell, taste, etc.

But, we do still feel it at times and do keep coming back.......and sometimes God seems to act thru our friends, for that support the excellent article pointed out.

I'm so glad I read that, a very good reminder.

Connie said...

Prayer, faith that things are in God's hands, and the help of friends and family are what help me get through hard times the best.

Speedcat Hollydale said...

I know that the Lord saved me. Even though I had faith throughout my life, my younger years were plagued by alchohol.
When I quit 5 years ago everyone asked me how I did it. They all expected me to say "AA, or treatment"
The real answer was God. I came to Jesus asking for the help I needed. The help to overcome what I was powerless over. I think this was really a miracle ... if you knew me 10 years ago, you would understand.

I think sometimes when life is running along smoothly, giving praise and thanks for good fortune (blessings) can fall by the wayside. Human nature will drive us to faith in times of despair and trouble.

Reading scripture, and hearing others elaborate on thoughts concerning faith based living all help to keep me focused on what is really important. The condition of my own soul.

Ask, pray, live , learn. Ego and sins of the flesh will soon recant. Getting through sadness and troubled times will always be so much easier with the Lord walking by your side! We are never alone as we think we might be.