Keeping things given to us by God simple, even though we live in a very complicated world.

Saturday, December 8, 2007

The voices in our head

This morning my church, the South Main Street Church of God, in Rittman, Ohio had it's monthly fund raiser, country breakfast. My job in this fund raiser is to deliver orders which are called in. Today, there was a lull in the action so I went home to deliver some breakfasts to my wife and sister. I took a small break and went to Cleveland.com to look at Terry Pluto's faith column, which was titled, "When dark thoughts creep in, hold them in." In this article, Terry tells you how to deal with the voices in your head.

With Christmas swiftly approaching, you may have some ideas about either wanting to avoid certain people or tell them what you think of them, neither of which is the Christlike thing to do. The voices in our heads may be telling us not to listen to others because their problems are their own fault. Or that person's testimony is always the same when they stand up.

Fact of the matter is, some folks only think of Jesus twice a year-Christmas and Easter. There could be a reason why. Maybe the voices in our heads are telling us to just have fellowship with those we know, or see more often. Maybe that's the reason. The voices in THEIR heads are telling them that there are no friendly people in church. Maybe the voices in their heads are telling them that they aren't good enough to have fellowship with the more regular church goers.

Remember, the only Bible some people see are how much Jesus we let shine through us.

I am going to end this post with a plug for my friend Terry Pluto. He is a sports columnist for the Cleveland Plain Dealer. He also loves the Lord and writes a faith column every other Saturday. Terry has written over 20 books on sports and some on faith. A great gift idea would be one of his books. Check out the selection at www.terrypluto.com.

5 comments:

Kathy said...

You mentioned some good things for us to think about. The one that hit me hard was that thinking that someone's problems are their own fault. I am guilty of that with someone that I know.

Linda Jones Malonson said...

Thank you Cliff --- I have never met friendly people in church. The ones I meet are always putting others down and plays that holier than thou game --- and I recall to them that Jesus said, "let him without fault cast the first stone."

I learned the hard way that a Church is the people not the building --- and therefore one can have church anywhere. But the gift of God, to me, is fellowship. As it helps keep us strong when times are hard.

Your wisdom doesn't surprise me, but it's so refreshing to see someone who is a Christian, act like a human being.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post...may God be with you always.

Maybe some people just have yet to see Christ shine through others. May He shine through you and all that you do.

Amel said...

Hi, Cliff,

I LOVE this sentence:

"Remember, the only Bible some people see are how much Jesus we let shine through us."

THANKS for the reminder! ;-D And keep on sharing God's light, please. :-))))

Cliff said...

Amel,

Thank you for stopping by. I will be sure to check out your blog.

Thank you also for your kind comments.

God bless you.