Keeping things given to us by God simple, even though we live in a very complicated world.

Monday, April 28, 2008

Forgiveness to others has benefits

23-24"This is how I want you to conduct yourself in these matters. If you enter your place of worship and, about to make an offering, you suddenly remember a grudge a friend has against you, abandon your offering, leave immediately, go to this friend and make things right. Then and only then, come back and work things out with God.

25-26"Or say you're out on the street and an old enemy accosts you. Don't lose a minute. Make the first move; make things right with him. After all, if you leave the first move to him, knowing his track record, you're likely to end up in court, maybe even jail. If that happens, you won't get out without a stiff fine.

Matthew 5:23-26 The Message

14-15"In prayer there is a connection between what God does and what you do. You can't get forgiveness from God, for instance, without also forgiving others. If you refuse to do your part, you cut yourself off from God's part. Matthew 6:14-15 The Message

I want to look at the other side of the forgiveness issue and that would be our forgiving those who do us wrong. The Bible commands us as Christian to forgive those who do us wrong. And if we do not find it in our hearts to forgive we cheat ourselves as God will not accept our offerings nor will He hear our prayers.

14-16Bless your enemies; no cursing under your breath. Laugh with your happy friends when they're happy; share tears when they're down. Get along with each other; don't be stuck-up. Make friends with nobodies; don't be the great somebody.

17-19Don't hit back; discover beauty in everyone. If you've got it in you, get along with everybody. Don't insist on getting even; that's not for you to do. "I'll do the judging," says God. "I'll take care of it."

20-21Our Scriptures tell us that if you see your enemy hungry, go buy that person lunch, or if he's thirsty, get him a drink. Your generosity will surprise him with goodness. Don't let evil get the best of you; get the best of evil by doing good. Romans 12:14-21 The Message

As you can see by the verses I have taken from The Message, there are many benefits from having a forgiving heart.


5 comments:

cathouse teri said...

What in the world is "The Message?"

david5258 said...

teri--The Mesage is a very readable BIBLE in today's language---to quote the old laka-seltzer commercial..."try it, you'll like it.""
seriously The Message makes it easier to understand how GOD speaks to our hearts thru His WORD and Spirit.

david5258

Elizabeth Kelly said...

You are so right about forgiveness, I didn't mean to make it appear that forgiveness of yourself is more important than forgiving others.

Either way not having a forgiving heart is what stands in the way of the kind of relationship with God He wants us to have. I think it is something I will always struggle with.

Also, about the message, sometimes I just love how easy it makes the word for me to read, but then when I go back to a version like the NIV I find so much comfort in reading the word the way I had been raised hearing it... it is nice to have the choice between the two versions depending on my mood.

Liquid said...

*biting my lip*

I am trying........so hard!

Sindi said...

I very much liked this post, Cliff. I have learned over the years that forgivness is also better for your health. I know when I have held anger in my heart for some one I am tired and don't feel my happy self until I fix my inner problem.