Keeping things given to us by God simple, even though we live in a very complicated world.

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

First command with a promise

1Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right.

2Honour thy father and mother; which is the first commandment with promise;

3That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth.

Ephesians 6:1-3 KJV

A post on another blog really broke my heart this week. Amias had posted about the way her adult children treated her. Times like this I am convinced that adult children is not an oxymoron. It infuriates me when I see how some treat their parents, especially when parents sacrifice much for their children.

This is not an isolated event. This attitude is rampant.

Now I also read such bloggers as Kathy's who sing the praises of her children. Jessica is another who can't wait to tell how proud she is of her son and daughter. I take pride in the good parents on my blog roll. I feel that they all set good examples for others to follow.

Unfortunately there are many children who believe that they deserve the latest and greatest, no matter what it does to the budget. If they don't get it, mom and dad are the bad guys.

But what gets me is those who reach their adult years and forget that mom and dad worked long and hard to clothe and feed them. Parents who took their children to the emergency room late into the night and went to work early the next day. Parents who sacrificed to give their children a good Christmas. Parents who were involved in their activities.

My father passed away in 2000. My mother in 2004. I wish they could be around to see their great grandchildren.

My mother called me about just about everything after my dad died. She suffered from COPD, her reward for being around smokers all her life as she didn't smoke. I went over 40 miles from my house to hers to take her to the emergency room. Why? Because she trusted me. I wouldn't have had it any other way. And the reason why I did that was because she changed my dirty diapers early in my life. I didn't need any other reason.

Funny though as much as modern medicine is extending peoples lives, some will negate that by the way they treat their parents. If you don't believe me reread the scripture.

Love them while you can!

8 comments:

Linda Jones Malonson said...

Cliff you touched my hear --- and made these tears come unashamedly. I still have hope, and I pray that God will open up their hearts so that they can see me. In the mean time, God has sent me some wonderful friends, and I numbered you amoung them.

Bless your heart Cliff, I pray that God will continue to bless you and your family.

Amel said...

WONDERFUL reminder, Cliff!!! Being far from my parents (and being a wife, too), makes me realize even more how precious my parents are. Maybe not to the extent of how they've sacrificed for me yet since I'm not a parent, but I REALLY do cherish them, esp. after reading how some people lost a parent early in their lives (due to divorce or whatever reasons). I don't think I had EVER realized how precious my parents are until I moved to Finland, until I read that other people's dads left their homes when they were young or that one of their parents died young or that one mother really treated her kid badly (power play, etc.)

Liquid said...

As James Taylor, along with our Lord said

"Shower the people you love with love.......and respect."

{{{{'course I added the respect part to the line}}} lol

Superb post Cliff!

Melanie said...

1 Cor. 13 ~ it is all about loving people and walking out the great commandment...Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, and mind and love your neighbor as yourself. Love..it is so powerful!

Toia said...

I agree with you all the way. My dad pass when I was very young. And my stepdad (whom raised me) pass about 4 years ago. All I have now is my mom. She lives about 10 minutes. I try to spend as much time together as possible. I love my mom. And I definitely give her flowers while she's here on earth with me to enjoy them.

Cliff said...

Toia:Thank you for stopping by. I'm glad I had something here for you. Give your mom a hug for me.

Linda Jones Malonson said...

I emailed this to three of my "adult children" ages, 40, 39, and 37 --- I am hoping it will jump start their day.

Stylin said...

Good post Cliff,
We treat our parents with disdain like they dont know anything.I see how parents work hard at raising their kids and I know I cant do it.